In a world where distractions and long to do lists are inevitable learning how to successfully multitask plays an essential role in being productive. Fortunately we have 5 tips to help you nail multitasking.
1. Plan Ahead – It’s impossible to schedule every interruption but it’s important to have in mind a general sequence of tasks which you’ll work through. Set yourself a specific time frame to ensure you allow yourself enough time to get through all the tasks on your agenda.
2. Toggle - Start with harder more time consuming tasks and fill in the downtime when you’re waiting for information or inspiration with simpler tasks. Working on compatible and similar tasks together can also be beneficial.
3. Stay Focused – Although it can be difficult, try not to keep thinking about all the other things you need to do when you are working on your main project. Aim to concentrate and hone in on what you are actually doing and get it finished so that you can ensure you are producing quality work.
4. Organise Information – Collate all the information you require into neatly arranged and easily accessible folders on your computer or in your email inbox. This will save you having to troll through information and will also make you feel less stressed. Write down items you need to refer to often (such as keyboard shortcuts, shipping info etc) so that you can refer to them quickly.
5. Take a Break – Use your lunch breaks as a time to take a true break from the stresses of the day. Take a walk, sit outside or whatever helps you switch off so that when you return to work you can function at your peak.