Given that most of us spend upwards of 40 hours a week at work, it’s worth doing whatever you can to stay happy whilst you’re there. Finding work you like, co-workers you enjoy being around and a company with good values are the basic foundations for happiness at work but here are some other things you can focus on to boost your happiness at work.
1. Get up Early – A rushed start to the work day can leave you feeling blue all day. Try and wake up at least an hour before you need to leave to avoid the stressful morning rush. Laying clothes out and prepping food the evening before also helps.
2. Get More Fresh Air – Studies have shown that spending just 20 minutes outside on a nice day can improve your mood, make you feel more relaxed and more productive. So rather than being cooped up in the office all day long, eat your lunch outside on sunny days.
3. Avoid Negativity – Don’t get caught up in office gossip and negative conversations with unhappy people as negative people have the ability to influence your emotions and bring you down.
4. Set Yourself Goals – Many people feel dissatisfied when they aren’t being challenged. Set yourself short and long term objectives to learn new things, a sense of achievement will boost your happiness.
5. Get a Good Nights Sleep – This ones no secret, we’ve all been tired at work and lets face it, it’s hard to be happy when you cant stop yawning. We know sometimes it can be difficult but ideally you need 8 hours sleep to give yourself the energy to be positive and happy.
6. Smile More – Scientists have proven that smiling and laughing encourages the brain to release dopamine. Dopamine is a natural chemical that amongst other things makes you feel happy and positive.