Relocating offices is always a critical event whether it be for strategic reasons, to adapt to business growth or simply to improve the workplace. Having recently relocated our entire offices and showroom ourselves, we thought we'd share a few tips that should help you transition smoothly.
The key to a successful move lays in the preparation and in the planning. Having a project plan is crucial.
Consider the requirements for the new offices. Do you need more office space, some quiet areas, a friendlier lunch room, more parking space? Now is the time to reflect on your current office and find out where there may be room for improvement. Conduct an inventory and declutter. What do you absolutely need and what could you go without? This can be the time to rid of old habits and introduce new ones.
While an office move is a major project and can be stressful for the team managing it, it is also important to understand how this major change also affects employees. Human beings are naturally reluctant to change and concerns may arise.
The key to a successful transition for employees is to keep them informed right from the start and promote the positive aspects of the move. Get them excited!
- Encourage communication and open dialogue.
- Provide them with the reasons behind the move and the benefits that it will bring
- Get them involved in the planning of the new space. It is important for employees to know that you understand their needs and take them into consideration. Organise a few meetings or workshops where employees can bring their ideas forward. For more on this, you can read our blog post: “Get your staff involved in your next office redesign”
- Keep them updated on a regular basis on the progress of the new office planning, its layout, new facilities to keep them interested and motivated
- Acknowledge their concerns and address them early on. Concerns may be over job security, travel distance, location of their desk, parking facilities, kitchen facilities and many more
- Make sure the move goes smoothly by letting them know in advance how and when to pack their belongings
- Make them feel welcome in the new space and celebrate!
Last but not least, communicate your move with your clients, suppliers and all other stakeholders when the time comes. Don’t forget to update your address online, on your website, social medias and on all documents used by the company.
You can now find us at 33 Ricketty Street, Mascot. Come and say hi, we'd love to give you a tour of our new premises.