1. Don’t Sit Through your Entire Lunch Break – Plan to use at least half of your lunch break to take a short walk outside or around the office. Walking, even at a slow pace is beneficial to both your body and mind.
2. Take the Stairs – Instead of using the elevator walk or even run up the stairs instead. Stairs are the best way to burn a few calories!
3. Don’t forget to Stretch – By integrating some simple desk stretches into your daily routine, you can make yourself more comfortable and protect your body from permanent injury that could affect your muscles, joints, ligaments and tendons.
4. Take short coffee breaks – Take short breaks throughout the day to get up and move around. A short 5-10 minute break will help clear your mind, keep muscles active and give you a boost of energy. Even volunteering to do the coffee run will get you up and moving!
5. Get a Head Set – Using a headset for your phone will allow you to stand up and move around whilst talking on the phone. Studies have shown standing up whilst on the phone can also improve your confidence, clarity and posture.
6. Track Your Steps – Invest in an activity tacker like a Fitbit or Apple watch and set yourself a goal to improve on your activity levels everyday. Being aware of how much you’re moving is a great way to get motivated.
7. Consider Height Adjustable Desks – Height adjustable desks are fantastic way to easily alternate your position from sitting to standing throughout the day. Alternating to a standing position during the day ensures the electrical activity in your muscles remain active.
8. Take the Long Way to Work – If you can’t ride or walk the whole way to work, try and park further away from the office or train station so that you have to walk the rest of the way. Remember any movement is better that none!